The countdown to our new indoor season is under way. It all clicks off at 7.45pm on Wednesday 27 September. Drop us an email if you'd like to be on our news mailing list.

Image of the Month: October 2012

In this section, we invite members to tell us the story behind the photo. This month's submission, comes from club secretary Steve Moull

Steve Moull's 'Crown of Thorns.'

This shot was taken in November 2010.  It’s the main altar of the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, sometimes called the ‘Crown of Thorns.’  

My daughter had an interview at Liverpool University and I took a day off work to take her over there.  Although the weather was miserable in Knaresborough, I stuck a camera in my pocket just in case.

In Liverpool, it was one of those fabulous days where the temperature was below freezing, but with bright sunshine and not a cloud in the sky. While my daughter was having her interviews, I spent a couple of hours looking round the cathedral which is very close to the university.

I was stunned by the sight when I first entered the building. The low winter sun was lighting up the interior through the stained glass like a spectacular neon light show. The colours were so intense – reds, blues and purples. I’d never seen anything like it before.

After a while I noticed a visitor sitting by themselves in quiet contemplation and it struck me that this was the final element of the scene that made it feel complete and balanced. I moved around the nave until the composition felt right and then quietly took the shot. I don’t think I would have liked the image as much without that human interest in it.

The shot is a reminder of a lovely and surprising day. My daughter eventually went to Manchester University and I’ve not been back to Liverpool since the day I took this picture.

And what’s the moral of this story? Take your camera with you wherever you go. Don’t miss those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.

1 comment:

  1. Love the way the viewer is led to the altar and how the solitary seated figure adds a contemplative quality to the scene.

    The cavernous, modern setting magnifies the solitude.

    ReplyDelete

For event notices, adopt the following format:

Saturday 29 June 2016: brief event details with web address.

Keep comments succinct. Comments are moderated. Anonymous suggestions will not be accepted.