Wednesday 26 July, the old abattoir before demolition, Castle Ings Road, access from 6.30pm. Disclaimer emailed to members to be signed before access allowed. Allow extra time as no parking at hand.

Image of the Month: December 2013

Each month, we invite a member to talk about the inspiration behind a particular image. December's contribution is this dramatic photograph of High Force which took one of the first prizes in the club's recent monochrome competition and comes from John Ash who explains.


High Force is an impressive waterfall on the River Tees, near Middleton-in-Teesdale, County Durham. I haven't been there for over 20 years since our honeymoon so decided a visit was long overdue

Despite the great summer, we had, there still seemed to be plenty of water to thunder over the falls in spectacular fashion.

I am NOT a very sure-footed person, so clambering over the rocks with my X Pro1 was not a very graceful experience. I wanted to get close to the water and use the large rock for foreground interest and the people at the top of the falls to give a sense of scale.

Recently, I have started using manual focus with the peaking function. It gives me confidence that I am focusing in the right place, and that I have the depth of field that I am after. For this image I closed the aperture to f10 to give a wide depth of field, and set the ISO high enough to ensure I could use a fast shutter speed as I had not brought my tripod.

I cropped the image square to get rid of some distracting rocks on the left, and converted it to black and white using Silver Efex Pro in Lightroom 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

For event notices, adopt the following format:

Saturday 29 June 2016: brief event details with web address.

Keep comments succinct. Comments are moderated. Anonymous suggestions will not be accepted.