Wednesday 26 July, the old abattoir before demolition, Castle Ings Road, access from 6.30pm. Disclaimer emailed to members to be signed before access allowed. Allow extra time as no parking at hand.

Image of the month: January 2014

Each month, we invite a club member to talk about the inspiration behind a particular image. We kick off 2014 with this gorgeous photograph of Bradford's Undercliffe Cemetery taken by Karen Noble who explains why viewpoint can make all the difference.



As the club went on an outing to the cemetery and I wasn't able to go, I made a separate trip. And I'm so pleased I did. This location has fantastic photo opportunities every step of the way.

As the sun was setting, and the clouds were casting beautiful coloured lines across the sky, the moment I saw this cross, I knew immediately where my shot was to be taken from – down low.

There was a small set of steps near this cross. I got down low on the steps and put the camera on the ground and shot upwards as high as I could. I metered strictly for the sky, as I wanted silhouettes of the cross, the reeds and the other headstones. I wanted the sky to stand out the most.

Aesthetically, this photo is so appealing to me. I love how the reeds shoot upwards creating many vertical lines and the colours in the clouds are running horizontally. In fact, this is one of the only photos I've adored so much that I have a large framed print hanging in my living room – and as a bonus, I have sold a print of it.

Camera info:  Nikon D700, 24-70mm lens, focal length 44mm, ISO 250, shutter 1/125, f/22.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For event notices, adopt the following format:

Saturday 29 June 2016: brief event details with web address.

Keep comments succinct. Comments are moderated. Anonymous suggestions will not be accepted.